November 15, 2020
Much is written about disruptive change in healthcare as a result of new technology, but little has focused on the impact these changes may have on the nursing role. In 2019, The New Group Consulting’s Cassie Solomon assembled a virtual panel of national nursing leaders to talk about technology and its impact on the future of nursing.
These nine nursing leaders—including Molly McCarthy, the Chief Nursing Officer at Microsoft; Joyce Sensmeier, the VP of Informatics at HIMSS; and Connie White Delaney, Dean of the School of Nursing at the University of Minnesota—discuss technology’s implications for compassionate care, the importance and use of big data, the impact of AI and machine learning on care team roles, the changing location of care, workforce transformation and training, and more.
- Shawna Butler, RN, MBA, Nurse Economist at Radboud University Medical Center in the Netherlands.
- Marilyn Chow, RN, Ph.D., FAAN was the Vice President of Patient Care Services and Innovation at Kaiser Permanente, now retired.
- Connie White Delaney, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, FACMI, FNAP is the Dean of the School of Nursing at the University of Minnesota.
- Christy Dempsey, MSN, MBA, CNOR, CENP, FAAN is the Chief Nursing Officer at Press Ganey Associates, Inc.
- Karen Drenkard, Ph.D., RN, NEA-BC, FAAN is the SVP, Chief Nurse and Chief Clinical Officer at GetWellNetwork.
- Gail Latimer, MSN, RN, FACHE, FAAN is the Executive Nurse Consultant and Strategist at Allegheny Health Network. She is also the Former Chief Nursing Officer of Cerner Health Services and the VP CNO of Siemens Healthcare.
- Molly McCarthy, BSN, MBA, RN-BC is the Chief Nursing Officer at Microsoft.
- Patty Mullen Reilly, BSN, CRNA is the Director of Strategic Sales at Medtronic.
- Joyce Sensmeier, MS, RN-BC, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, FAAN is the VP of Informatics at HIMSS.